Tribute to Sudip Chatterjee

5 Feb 1959
18 Sep 2006
Remembered By debasis-digital
Inmemory is a platform for all of us to pay tribute and share the fond memories of our loved ones who are not anymore in this world !
Offer Flowers
Light a Candle
Pray for the soul
Seek Blessings

Sudip Chatterjee (5 February 1959 – 18 September 2006), nicknamed Tulu, was an Indian international football player. He started his career as a centre back and then moved to the right back position before switching to the midfielder role. As a Midfielder, he was considered among the finest in Indian football.

Sudip started his playing career with Howrah Sahajatri Club, where his skills were spotted by former India international Arun Ghosh. In 1981 he signed for Calcutta 1st Division league team Bengal Nagpur Railway (BNR) Club. After spending a season with BNR, he joined Kolkata giant Mohun Bagan in 1982. After two seasons with Mohun Bagan, Chatterjee moved to Bagan’s arch rival East Bengal Club in 1984. While at East Bengal, Sudip was shifted to Central Midfield by the then coach of the club, Amal Dutta. Sudip remained with East Bengal till 1987. During his stay with East Bengal, he was adjudged the player of the year by the AIFF in 1986. He joined Mohun Bagan again in 1988 and played for them in the corresponding two seasons. In 1990, he returned to East Bengal for a one year stint. Sudip finally returned to Mohun Bagan in 1991 and retired at the end of 1992 season.

After his 1982 debut with Mohun Bagan as a Central Defender, Sudip was included in the Indian Team for 1982 Asian Games. He was a very dependable member of the Indian Football Team till his retirement in 1992. Sudip represented India in Asian Games, Asia Cup, Pre-World Cup, Pre-Olympic, Merdeka Cup, SAF Games and Nehru Gold Cup. He captained India in SAF Games(1985), Pre-World Cup(1986), Asian Games(1986), Merdeka Cup(1986), Nehru Gold Cup(1985 & 1988) and Asia Cup(1988). 1992 Asia Cup was his last International tournament.

Chatterjee used to live at Mandirtala, Howrah, the twin city of Kolkata. After his retirement from football due to ill health, he was subsequently also diagnosed with Dementia. On September 18, 2006, a piece of Guava choked his respiratory tract and he suffered a Cardiac Arrest. He was declared dead after being rushed to a nearby hospital. Chatterjee is survived by his wife, a son and a daughter.

No tribute yet, be the first to leave one!

You must be logged in to post a tribute.